PUBLIC ADMINISTRATOR GENERAL INFORMATION
The County of Los Angeles Public Administrator has a staff of deputies to provide administration for decedent estates. The Public Administrator’s authority is mandated by the California Government and Probate Codes.
The Public Administrator should be notified by anyone (law enforcement, mortuary, convalescent facility, hospital, hospice, or private citizen) who has knowledge of a decedent’s estate under the following circumstances:
To report such an estate, please call the Investigations Unit of the Public Administrator’s Office at 213.974.0460 or TTY: 213.628.4010, or by facsimile to 213.633.1944. An investigator is available 8:00 am to 5:00 pm to provide assistance in determining the need for the Public Administrator to administer the decedent’s estate.
1. Where a decedent owned real or personal property and the property is uncared for, or is at risk of being wasted.
2. When the decedent had no known heirs, executor or appointed administrator.
3. When the named executor of a Will fails to act.
4. Where a decedent’s Will names the Public Administrator as the executor.
5. When heir(s) desire to have the Public Administrator administer the estate.